The East Lake Morton neighborhood encompasses the east and north shores of Lake Morton north to the south shore of Lake Mirror and east to Ingraham Ave. It is one of the city’s oldest neighborhoods with development beginning about 1900 and largely completed by 1928. Residences of Lakeland's important community leaders and civic buildings are located here. The Public Library, the Lakeland Woman's Club and the Sorosis Club were built on the north shore of Lake Morton.
In 1992, the City of Lakeland contracted with Historic Property Associates to conduct a structural resource survey of the East Lake Morton neighborhood to determine if it was eligible for designation as an historic district. The completed survey identified 170+ structures in the neighborhood which were more than fifty years old and thus eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. As a result of the survey the East lake Morton neighborhood was accorded historic status in 1993.
For each structure in the district that met the criteria, surveyors from Historic Properties completed a site survey form, a pre-printed form on which basic information about each conforming structure was recorded. One hundred fifty of those forms are reproduced here.