In 1940, aviation executive Albert Lodwick purchased an interest in the Lincoln (NE) Flying School and moved its operations from Lincoln, Nebraska to Lakeland, Florida. He renamed the school the Lakeland School of Aeronautics, later the Lodwick School of Aeronautics, and established its headquarters at the Lakeland Municipal Airport. A year later he established the Lodwick Aviation Military Academy in nearby Avon Park, Florida. Both schools were civilian operations under contract to the Army to provide primary flight training to army air force cadets.
The Lodwick Aviation Military Academy closed in at the end of October 1944 and the Lodwick School of Aeronautics closed in August 1945. More than 5000 flight cadets entered the Lodwick Aviation Military Academy and 3400 graduated. More than 8000 cadets entered the Lodwick School of Aeronautics, with just over 6000 successfully completing the training. Of those, 1,327 were British Royal Air Force cadets who received training at the Lodwick School of Aeronautics in 1941 and 1942.
In their spare time, of which they had little, cadets at both schools produced yearbooks and newspapers, of which a very few survived. This collection includes four “yearbooks” from the Lodwick School of Aeronautics and two from the Lodwick Aviation Military Academy, as well as a few “newspapers” from the Lodwick School of Aeronautics published in 1944 and 1945. The yearbooks list the members of each class, their hometown, and the college they attended, if any. The first yearbook published at the Lodwick School of Aeronautics was entitled Propwash, with subsequent issues of the yearbooks and the newspaper entitled Solo Land.