The Lakeland Terrace Hotel was the City of Lakeland's first high rise building. It stands on9the site originally occupied by the city's first hotel, the Tremont House. The Tremont had been moved to a new location in 1911 and the lot on which it stood remained vacant for several years before the construction of the Lakeland Terrace.
The Terrace opened with a gala reception and dance on October 20, 1924. It was at its opening Lakeland's premier hotel and remained so through the 1940's and 1950's. By the 1970's, however, the Terrace had fallen on hard times, a victim of channging travel habits and the emergence of motels conveniently located near the highways. It had become home to a combination of long term residents and transients who paid as little as $12 a night for a room.
The city finally ordered the Terrace closed for building code violations in late 1986. It remained closed ofr twelve years, looming like some dark presence over Lakeland's downtown. Finally, in 1996 a developer purchased the Terrace for $150,000 with the goal of restoring it to its former grandeur as a first class hotel. Nearly three years and $7 million later that dream was realized, as the beautifully restored Lakeland Terrace Hotel reopened in early 1999.
This collection consists of a few holiday menus from the Terrace's frist year of operation and two brochures from the 1930's promoting the hotel as a business and vacation destination.