Lakeland, Florida resident Bertha Cole organized a club in 1928 known as the Lakeland Artists' Music Club. It was federated in 1929 in affiliation with both State and National Federation of Music Clubs. In 1935/36 the name was changed to Bertha Cole Artists' Music Club, then shortened in 1953 to Bertha Cole Music Club. In the Constitution and By-Laws adopted in 1929, Article II - section 1 reads "The object of this organization shall be the study, appreciation, and production of the best in music."
Each month between October and May the Bertha Cole Music Club presented a musical program open to its members in furtherance of its objective of "studying, appreciating, and producing the best in music."
At the beginning of each program year, the Club produced a yearbook which listed the names of its officers, charter and active members, members, standing committees, and times and dates of its monthly programs. Those yearbooks are reproduced here and offer a glimpse of the changing musical tastes and cultural interests of at least a segment of the population of Lakeland.