The Lakeland Tourist Club was founded in 1922 as a means for winter visitors to Lakeland, Florida to meet, socialize, and share common experiences as part time residents of the city. Most of the members were retirees and reasonal residents, arriving in the Fall and leaving in the Spring. The club had a active membership during most of its history, with members haling from almost every state. Membership reached its peak in 1927 with 1,625 members.
The City of Lakeland built a clubhouse and community center on Orange St. in 1938 which it rented to the Tourits Club for a nominal fee. It was designed by well known architect W. B. Talley. The building was renamed "The Magnolia Building" during the early 1960's, noted in the 1964-65 yearbook.
In 1992 the organization changed its name to the Lakeland Winter Club, perhaps to reflect the historical fact that it was active only between November and April. Membership and attendance declined throughout the 1990's. As a result, the remaining members voted to dissolve the organization in 1998.
The club published an annual report or yearbook in which it listed the active members, sometimes alphabetically by name from each state, sometimes alphabetically by name without separation by state. It also listed a weekly program of activities which included dances, card parties, and special events for holidays such as Valentine's Day. These annual reports are included in this collection